Pit Talk

3 worst bathrooms on UNC's campus, ranked

This blog is part of a multi-part series about UNC campus bathrooms. 

I toured many buildings searching for the worst bathrooms at UNC.

“But Hannah,” some might say. “Why is there only three? I can think of plenty more gross bathrooms!”

To be honest, most UNC bathrooms aren’t that bad. Some are impressive, some are terrible, but most are just OK. They’re bathrooms, people — they’re not supposed to be attractive. But these three are pretty bad.

3. Phillips Hall, first floor

My first time experiencing Phillips was for the sake of this article — I don’t plan on going back anytime soon. Just as I had been told, the place is not welcoming. Fluorescent light illuminates the grey halls, grey walls and whatever the heck all that electrical stuff is running along the ceilings. I don’t think I’ve been in a more depressing environment.

So I assumed the bathrooms would be bad.

I mean, I don’t think it’s the *worst* I’ve seen at—

—Oh. Oh my god. Is that a water heater? For the sinks? OK, whatever, but I just want to know why the plug for it is wrapped around a pipe. Exterior pipes filled with water heated by an exterior water heater plugged into exterior-wired electricity. Phillips doesn’t leave much to the imagination.

2. Top of Lenoir

Do I even need an explanation for this one? I’d like to think that this bathroom is a resentment shared by every Tar Heel, at least the ones that use the women’s bathroom. Not sure about the men’s room.

Y’all, I really hate this bathroom. I go out of my way to use any other bathroom but this one. 

First, you’ve got the sink water that get instantly, scalding hot whenever someone flushes a toilet. 

Then, the paper towel dispensers have a reputation for only giving you a couple inches of paper, and that’s when the dispensers actually work. I have spent many a time performing interpretive dance in front of the motion sensor to no avail. And when you find yourself waving your wet, scalded hands in front of the motion sensor, you’re also trying to get out of the way of the girl behind you trying to get to the sink.

And finally,et’s not forget the best part about this bathroom: the surprise TP dump!

Admit it, it’s happened to you, too: you go to grab some toilet paper and the dispenser falls open and drops a roll of toilet paper on your head. Yay!

Are there grosser bathrooms? Yeah.

Are there older bathrooms? Of course.

But are there more frustrating bathrooms than Top of Lenoir…?

1. Dey Hall, third floor

Dey is my least fave. I don’t like anything about it. That’s why these bathrooms have a special place on the list of UNC’s worst bathrooms.

First off, I couldn’t even find a bathroom on the first/ground/entrance/whatever floor. Unless this business counts:

A paper sign of a triangle-shaped person taped next to a door…seems legit.

There’s a women’s room on the third floor, though. Here it is! The worst bathroom on campus!

It’s gross, there’s always a line, and it always smells bad. 

Always. Even when I came into Dey on a Sunday afternoon to take this picture, when no one was around, it smelled bad. 

The sketchy little chair is an added bonus. I used to think it was some kind of handicap thing because it was right next to the toilet, but it got moved. 

So if you ever want to bring a friend to the Dey Hall bathroom, come on in! There’s room for one more!