Pit Talk

5 reasons to participate in Mental Health Awareness week

If you weren't aware, NAMI UNC (National Alliance on Mental Illnesses) is hosting a number of events for Mental Health Awareness week. While we don't expect you to attend every event, we do recommend trying to participate in at least one activity because... 

1. PUPPIES. Yes, you read that correctly. Hang out with some adorable pups on Polk Place from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Thursday. 

2. Justin Bieber. If you're a fan of the Biebs, you can listen to his song "Love Yourself" in the Pit on Friday at 10:00 a.m. Stick around for awhile, because we heard there's going to be a fun surprise...

3. Education. Mental illnesses are a real thing and this week can help to educate yourself on the topic by showing up to one of the events.

4. NAMI. This organization seeks to educate others on the topic of mental illnesses and to also provide support for anyone who suffers from a mental illness. NAMI welcomes everyone and no prior experience is necessary.

5. It's important. I know it sounds kind of redundant, but you would be amazed by how many college students have a mental illness. Being a part of Mental Health Awareness week helps you to actively show your support for your fellow Tar Heels and educate yourself and others on the topic.