Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #18: Tweet at a UNC varsity athlete

I have been known to tweet at a celebrity or two (or 50). Tweeting at celebrities is an activity reserved solely for those of us who identify as adrenaline junkies. 

Every time you press the send button on a tweet directed at a famous person, little butterflies of hope explode in your heart. These butterflies are filled with a sad dose of disillusionment. "Maybe he will respond this time," they say. 

Sadly, celebrities have more exciting lives than us. While we spend our time hoping to get noticed by crafting the perfect tweet, our target celebs are probably jumping off of a yacht with Leonardo DiCaprio or dancing in random locations with Ellen DeGeneres

Due to my experience with disappointing Twitter interactions involving famous individuals, I decided to take on the eighteenth item on UNC's Bucket List: Tweet at a UNC varsity athlete. 

I opted to hone in on men's lacrosse. 

Pat McCormick, a sophomore from Hicksville, NY, wears jersey number nine and plays in the midfield for UNC lacrosse. 

I directed a tweet his way, full of hope and Valentine's Day spirit. At first, I was faced by the familiar disappointment of being an irrelevant normal person. 

However, three hours after I had sent the tweet and given up on tweeting celebrities forever, my phone projected the Twitter notification noise.

I had been acknowledged at last. But that wasn't all. I had all received a non-negative response to a Valentine request.

So, yes, as the weekend approaches, a UNC lacrosse player is "possibly" my Valentine. Life is spectacular.