Pit Talk

Freshman perspective: Q&A with a student who has been at UNC for a month

Whaddup fellow heels! I’m Kylie, your run of the mill, freshman plebeian. I’m from just outside of Pittsburgh, Penn. I am maybe (?!?!?!?) majoring in journalism and am simultaneously adjusting to both #SoCollege life and #SouthernCulture. 

I’m basically the quintessential freshman: I live on the 10th floor of HoJo, I met my roommate via Facebook online dating, I’m somewhat scared to use the bus system (I walk almost everywhere), and I wear my complimentary Carolina Dining Services T-shirt to bed almost every night. 

During my first month here at UNC I have battled bigoted campus preachers, bore shoddy shower water pressure, been sufficiently intimidated by muscle men at the SRC and muddled my way through awkward small talk with my peers in a 500-person lecture in Carroll. 

It’s been four weeks since move in, so I feel obliged to share my Unique & Totally Original Freshman Perspective (UTOFP) with y'all (am I using that right????).

I answered these questions Online Managing Editor Kelsey Weekman gave me, and I'll be revisiting them at the end of the year to see how my UTOFP has changed.

Kelsey Weekman: What’s your favorite place to eat on Franklin Street? 

Kylie Marshall: I would go to Yogurt Pump every day if I knew how and when to take the bus to get to Franklin Street. So, YoPo.

KW: What’s your favorite place to study? 

KM: I like the area in that little bridge thing that connects the two sides of the Union. It’s conveniently located near any and every club meeting I feel obligated to attend after signing up for 400 clubs at FallFest.

KW: What’s your favorite class? 

KM: JOMC 101. We have high-profile guest speakers almost every class. When we don’t, the professor never fails to remind us of the roast he’s holding on the last day of class where we get to take turns imitating his accent for an hour and fifteen minutes.

KW: Who’s your favorite UNC celebrity? 

KM: The Pit Preacher. I heard he called Donald Trump a douchebag, so we are basically BFFLs.

KW: What’s something that annoys you about campus? 

KM: The Daily Grind is CLOSED on SUNDAYS. What the heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KW: What’s the best tip you’ve learned so far? 

KM: Go to all the events that offer free stuff. Although, in the future, I plan to get to said events early because the free stuff always runs out within 5 minutes.

KW: What’s the best way to make friends? 

KM: Introduce yourself to everyone you meet on the elevator. Since 900 people live in your dorm, you will definitely remember everyone’s name and become friends with all of them.

KW: How’s the food on campus? 

KM: The cookies are BOMB. The salad bar at Ram’s gets more ratchet every day, but the COOKIES are BOMB.

KW: What’s the weirdest thing that has happened to you at UNC? 

KM: During move in, my roommate and I (who did not coordinate anything dorm-wise) both came with a poster of a United States president and a poster of a Parks & Rec character. I came with Teddy Roosevelt (circa his career as Rough Rider) and Leslie Knope; she came with JFK and Tom Haverford.

There you have it, folks. My humble perspective on the FYE thus far. I’ll check back at the end of the year to (probably) scoff at my inexperience and naivety.