Early this year, UNC ranked No. 20 in "Colleges with the most school spirit." This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who's set foot on campus.
Part of this school pride can be rightfully be attributed to our sports teams, which are some of the best in the nation (yet sometimes we take for granted).
In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past week, here’s a recap of only several UNC victories worth mentioning:
- No. 2 field hockey won its 19th ACC championship
- No. 17 football destroyed Duke in an epic showdown during homecoming
- No. 1 UNC men’s basketball never trailed behind Guilford College in their first exhibition game
- No. 20 women’s basketball scored 99 points against Mount Olive in their last exhibition game
- No. 15 women’s soccer got a No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament
To keep up the momentum (no pun intended), here are my five favorite student section cheers during a Carolina game:
5. Third Down Cheer
A great song to put babies to sleep to; it most certainly will help trick them into being a future Tar Heel fan.
Requires (minimal) physical activity. Can learning U-N-C and C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A count as my LFIT requirement?
3. Sweet Caroline
Bonus points if you know the lyrics that aren't the chorus.
2. The Call and Response
What's more to love than to have 62,000 fans chant "Tar Heels" back and forth?
1. Alma Mater/Fight Song
It's always a #GDTBATH.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.