Raising Heels

How parents can support their students during final exam season

Photo by Wes Hicks on Unsplash
Buy Photos Photo by Wes Hicks on Unsplash

With final exam season quickly approaching, it is important to know how best to support your student during this infamously stressful period. 

This unprecedented semester has created unprecedented struggles, academic or otherwise, for many students. Whether your child is near or far, parental support is incredibly valuable as they cope with compounding stresses.  

To recap, the last day of class is Tuesday, Nov. 17. Finals will begin the next day and go until Nov. 24. 

Know your resources

Making your student aware of UNC’s academic resources is one great way to support them during final exams. 

The UNC Writing Center, the UNC Learning Center and UNC Libraries are all virtually accessible this semester. If your student feels overwhelmed by work, remind them of all the resources at their disposal and encourage your student to use these tools as study aids. 

Aside from academic resources, UNC also has a variety of mental health and safety resources that are accessible to students. Some of these resources include hotlines, counseling platforms and reference guides on how to best handle various mental health situations that could arise.

You can also encourage your child to reach out to their professors. Students are sometimes hesitant to do this, especially if they’re first years. It’s important to remember that if your child needs help, the worst that can happen is that their professor simply cannot do anything to help.  

Send something

Showing your student you’re thinking of them is another way to be there for them. One way to do this is by making your child a finals care package, including things like their favorite snacks, coffee, stuffed animals, extra pens and anything else they might appreciate or find useful.

Getting food delivered is another popular option during finals, especially late at night. If your student has a large study group, it can also be fun to order food for everyone and split it while preparing for the exam. 

A few popular delivery options:

• Wings Over
  • Insomnia Cookies
  • Takeout Central

Physical gift-giving isn’t the only way to show your student that you care. Positive gestures like telling your student you believe in them or wishing them good luck over the phone can help reassure them and ease their nerves before the big test. It might sound sappy, but sometimes all they really need is to hear your voice. 

Check on their health

It can also be helpful to remind your student that their worth is not dependent on a grade or numerical score, especially when they’re prioritizing their academic success. Shedding light on their best personal qualities during finals can be comforting if their exams aren’t going as planned. 

Another way to help keep your child’s mental health in check is to emphasize the importance of their physical health. Exam schedules are usually hectic, which can lead to erratic eating habits and sleeping patterns. Gently deter your child from unhealthy behaviors like pulling all-nighters and skipping meals to study by encouraging them to plan ahead and practice time management. 

Don’t overwork yourself

While these tips are useful, it’s important to do these things in moderation. It can be easy to accidentally overstep your parental boundaries in an attempt to help your student succeed, especially if they will be living with you during finals. Knowing when to offer help and when to give them space is hard, but try to be as understanding and flexible as possible. 

Final exams can be stressful for parents as well. 

Coping with worrying about your student’s grades or having to reduce communication with them as they prioritize their studies has the potential to overwhelm any parent. Don’t forget to be mindful of your own wellbeing and take the time to make sure you’re at your best so you can ultimately help your child be at theirs.