Tales from the Old North State

A look back at the Fort Fisher Hermit

Beach towns are often marked by a transient population of tourists, seasonal workers and retirees who come and go with the warm weather. But as another summer draws to a close, it’s time to look back at one coastal resident who found a permanent home by the sea and whose legacy remains tied to the region more than 40 years after his death.

Robert Harrill, better known as the Fort Fisher Hermit, spent the last 17 years of his life in an abandoned WWII bunker in the salt marshes near Carolina Beach. As Harrill lived off of the land and slept under the stars, his message about reconnecting with nature spread throughout the state.

Born in 1893, Harrill endured an abusive childhood, a failed marriage, an escape from a mental hospital and the suicide of his eldest son before starting a new life at the North Carolina shore. With few material possessions, Harrill survived by catching food in nearby waters and planting crops in the sandy soil.

Despite living deep in the “jungles of Fort Fisher,” Harrill didn’t get much alone time. The crowds at the bunker grew as word of Harrill’s lifestyle and philosophy attracted visitors from all over the country. Thousands flocked to Harrill, who claimed to be the state’s second largest tourist attraction of the late 1960’s.

Michael Edwards remembers visiting Harrill during summer vacations to the coast.

“He was very open, very vivacious I guess you would say,” Edwards said. “He would say, ‘The common man, that’s what it’s all about.’”

At Harrill’s “School of Common Sense,” guests gathered at Harrill’s campsite to discuss the deterioration of society and the importance of independence. Harrill didn’t hesitate to challenge the authority of politicians or law enforcement, Edwards said.

“He wasn’t shy,” Edwards said. “He pretty much told it like it was.”

Harrill’s body was found in his bunker in 1972 covered in blood and sand. The local coroner ruled that the cause of death was a heart attack, but many of Harrill friends and family suspected foul play.

In 1993, Edwards helped form The Hermit Society, which now has about 700 members. In addition to researching Harrill’s death, members are encouraged to share Harrill’s story and uphold the values of brotherhood, respect for nature and humanitarianism.

“It’s hard to imagine the input Robert had on people’s lives,” Edwards said, adding that he still receives emails from people willing to share their memories with Harrill. “He really helped direct others to a happy, healthy life.”

Harrill’s life story has also spread through documentaries, numerous books, a play and a day camp based on his life.

Edwards said he hopes Harrill’s story continues to reach new audiences.

“There’s certain people who are just drawn to the hermit,” Edwards said. “I just think it’s a story that needs to be told.”

Hermit Society Quiz

Think you’ve got what it takes to be a hermit? The Hermit Society previously required potential members to complete an admissions quiz including the following questions about Harrill and his way of life.

Questions:
1. How old was Robert Harrill when he started his life over and moved to Fort Fisher?
2. What was going to be the title of the hermit’s book?
3. What was his important message about authority?
4. What year did Robert first appear in the Ft. Fisher area (within 2 years)?
5. What was the name of the archeologist the State of NC sent to “get rid” of the hermit?
6. What was Robert’s epitaph on his headstone at Federal Point Cemetery?
7. What big idea of Robert’s in the 1950’s finally came true?
8. If you only needed 1,800 calories to maintain a healthy weight but you consistently ate more and got little exercise, what would probably happen to you and what health problems and diseases would you be more at risk for?

Answers:
1. 62
2. “A Tyrant in Every Home”
3. Don’t trust or depend on them when you need them. Many are “on the take” and dishonest.
4. 1954-55
5. Dr. Stanley South
6. “He Made People Think”
7. Harrill dreamed of having chain of public aquariums, like the Fort Fisher Aquarium.
You’d get fat! (Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc)

Answers were provided by Michael Edwards.