Tales from the Old North State

Deep fried fair fare

It’s fair season in North Carolina, which means exciting rides, excellent people watching and all the deep fried food you could ask for is just a short drive to Raleigh away.

Every year, vendors compete to find another edible substance that can be dipped in batter, plunged into hot grease and then sold at an exorbitant mark-up. The results of these daring culinary endeavors range from disastrous to delicious, and have brought the world deep fried Twinkies, meatloaf, butter and bubble gum, among other creations.

To help you pick a fried winner at this year’s fair, or at least narrow down your options, here are some fair-goer recommendations:

Deep Fried MoonPie

Maggie Foster, a Durham resident, said her favorite fair food is the deep fried MoonPie.

Though not listed on this year’s menu of the “Chef’s D’Lite” booth, Foster remembered the business previously served the dish and decided to take a chance ordering the off-the-menu item. Foster was richly rewarded.

“They take a double decker MoonPie, which is delicious in and of itself, and then they put it on a stick, deep fry it, then they take it out and cover it with chocolate sauce, cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar,” she said. “It is gooey marshmallow and warm cake, and then crispy deep fried deliciousness on the outside,”

Cheddar Nuggets

Cheddar Nuggets — also known as “Chedda’ Nugs” — are fried balls of cheese accompanied by exotic sauces including German Mustard, Jalapeno Ranch and Pizza Sauce.

Libby Hunter, a UNC-Chapel Hill alum, described the nuggets as “cheesy” and said she would recommend them to others.

“They’re gooey and crispy all at the same time,” she said.

Deep Fried Oreos

While Zak and Caroline Bender and their two young children usually opt for the pork tenderloin sandwich at the fair, this year was all about dessert. Their favorite from a medley of deep-fried candies were fried Oreos.

“We got them this year because we had never gotten them before,” Zak Bender said. “I think people get kind of scared, but it’s kind of just like a funnel cake around an Oreo.”

Deep Fried Brownie Sundae

This dish, also found at the “Chef’s D’Lite” stand, takes the deep fried brownie a step further, adding vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Matt Novak, a graduate student at Duke University, and said he would recommend the sundae for two people.

“I like the interplay between the warm brownie being fried and the cold ice cream,” he said. “I like the crust because it gives it a nice crunch that you usually don’t get in a sundae.”

Bonus: Deep Fried Gummy Bear

One of the more interesting choices at this year’s fair is the deep fried gummy bear — a giant red gummy bear that’s skewered, deep fried and then dusted with powdered sugar.

Adrian West, an owner of Gobblin Gourmet, which makes the treat, said the bears have not historically sold very well at state fair, but assures customers that deep fried gummy bears are delicious.

“Tastes like cherry pie,” he said.