Tales from the Old North State

The week ahead, Feb. 3-9

Looking to learn more about North Carolina and the southern experience? Every week, Tales from the Old North State will feature events in and around the area that highlight the history and culture of N.C.

The Workboats of Core Sound: Stories and Photographs from Down East
What: Photograph Display and Reading
When: Feb. 4, 5:30 p.m.
Where: Wilson Library, Pleasants Family Assembly Room

Landscape photographer Lawrence Earley will present photographs and stories from his latest book The Workboats of Core Sound: Stories and Photographs of a Changing World. The book documents the lives and craft of Eastern North Carolina fishermen and their families through essays, interviews and photographs.

Southern Eruptions in Asian American Literature
What: Lecture and Lunch
When: Feb. 6, 12:30 p.m.
Where: The Love House and Hutchins Forum

Jennifer Ho, an english professor and author of Asian Americans in Dixie, will present her research on the intersections of Asian American and southern writing. The growing population of Asian Americans in the South is reflected in an increasing number of stories about the Asian American southern experience. These works undermine typical Asian American narratives about West Coast Chinatowns and East Coast suburban subdivisions, and remind audiences about the global composition of southern communities. Lunch will be provided.

Future Shorts: The World’s Biggest Pop-up Film Festival
What: Film Festival
When: Feb. 6, Doors Open at 6 p.m., Show Starts at 7 p.m.
Where: The Pinhook in Durham

Short films from around the world come to Durham with this pop-up style film festival. London-based Future Shorts film festival seeks to create a global network of film festivals that show some of the best short films in the world. This week’s festival features films from France, Poland, Serbia, Finland and Afghanistan that vary in style and theme. The local trio TripKnight Band will perform during intermission.

Tickets: $10

The Muslims Are Coming!
What: Film Screening and Discussion with Director
When: Feb. 7, 7 p.m.
Where: FedEx Global Education Center

As the film’s website promises, you’ve never laughed this hard at a Muslim. The Muslims Are Coming! follows a group of Muslim-Americans as they travel through America combating Islamophobia with humor and exploring the political scope of bigotry. Between stunts in small-town America like the “Ask a Muslim Booth,” comedians including Jon Stewart and Lewis Black weigh in on the extent of intolerance in America and the power of “social justice comedy.” Part of the North Carolina Comedy Arts Festival, the event will also include a discussion with director Negin Farsad.

Stagville Under the Stars
What: Stargazing and Storytelling
When: Feb. 7, 6 p.m.
Where: Historic Stagville Plantation in Durham

Historic Stagville Plantation and the Morehead Planetarium present a stargazing session that focuses on astronomy and the legends African cultures told about the night sky. Visitors are invited to look through the Planetarium’s telescope and explore the original structures of one of the largest plantations of the pre-Civil War South to learn about the lives of enslaved people.

Music of the Carolinas: Ben Payton and the Blues
What: Blues Concert
When: Feb. 9, 3 p.m.
Where: Daniels Auditorium at the N.C. Museum of History

A renowned acoustic blues artist, Ben Payton will perform country-style Delta blues from the early 20th century. As a music historian and teacher, Payton uses performance to illustrate the musical traditions of African-American culture that contribute to a distinctly American blues style.

Tickets: Free but awarded on first come, first serve basis