Tar Heel Life Hacks

Best places to study outside at UNC

College-kid hibernation must be a real thing.

On beautiful warm days like yesterday, when everyone flocks to the quad, I wonder where they all go when it’s cold out. Extensive research has led me to the following conclusion: they hibernate.

I’m not sure where they do it (I have never seen more unfamiliar faces in my life), but it’s most likely somewhere where their homework-induced tears won’t freeze.

Now that the hibernation is over and you no longer have any motivation to enter a building, here are my top spots to study outside.

Behind Lenoir

The Pit side of Lenoir is always crowded, loud and far too distracting, but the back of Lenoir is much calmer. There are lots of great tables, and while you may see a few friends while you’re studying, you probably won’t run into literally everyone you know. As an added bonus, you will be in very close proximity to food, water, bathrooms and wall outlets (the only things you could ever need) the whole time.

The bench outside Alumni Hall

The upper quad is usually less busy than the area near the Pit. You’ll rarely find anyone already sitting on this particular bench when you show up. It served me very well for an entire semester freshman year.

Weaver Street Market

Weaver Street has a really great outdoor area with tables and other great places to sit. It’s kind of a hike from campus so make sure you have all of your stuff with you. Studying in such a hipster place will make you feel cool, though, so it’s worth it.

Any of the North Campus dorm quads

These smaller quads are really close to the center of campus but they still feel secluded. The picnic tables there are great if you want a quiet place to study that’s still really close to all your classes.

The quad

Yeah right, you’re not going to get any studying done there. Nice try.