Tar Heel Life Hacks

Eating healthy in college without losing your mind

This year, my New Years Resolution was to eat healthier. It wasn’t really optional because my diet had me feeling terrible and bloated all the time. Think of the unhealthiest eater you know. I was probably worse than that person in 2015. I went to the doctor because I thought something was wrong with me and she was like, "oh my god, take better care of yourself."

But eating healthy in college is HARD. I’m lucky to have a kitchen, but sometimes I just want a juicy burger and fries from Al’s. These are the most important lessons I’ve learned in my quest to be a healthier college student.

BREAKFAST IS INCREDIBLE. I had coffee for breakfast every day from high school through last semester. I wasn’t hungry right when I woke up, and I didn’t have time to make it. This semester, I have been waking up 30 minutes earlier so I have time to fix whatever I’m craving — which is usually avocado toast — and actually enjoy it. Breakfast allows you to start your day in the best way possible, even if you just grab a banana or a piece of toast. It gives me something to look forward to when I get out of bed, and gives me way more energy for my first class of the day.

Stock up on healthy snacks. It is so easy to fill your pantry with potato chips, candy and sugary protein bars. But when you’re craving a snack, your body needs something that will provide energy and fill your stomach. Try picking up celery and hummus or almonds and fruit. It doesn’t sound as exciting as Sour Patch Kids, but you will feel better later.

Cutting out the food you love only makes life that much harder. Mexican food is my whole life and existence. I legitimately can't imagine a world without it. If I had given up my favorite food on Jan. 1, my quality of life would be terrible. It's important to find ways to treat your body and your tastebuds right. For instance, I've replaced burritos filled with cheese and beans with veggie fajitas and LOTS of pico de gallo. I enjoy it more because I don't feel like Aunt Marge when I leave.

Veggies are your friend. One of my biggest problems before starting this experiment was that I have the appetite of a male teenage distance swimmer. I can eat so much. That hasn’t changed at all, but now I just focus on filling up with the good stuff. Sounds crazy, but a heaping plate of spinach is always better than a tiny bite of chocolate—although I’m not skipping out on that either, because…

Everything in moderation, even moderation. Please don’t think for a second that I came home and drowned my sorrows in fruit and salads after Monday night. The most important thing I’ve learned to stay sane while switching to a healthier lifestyle is to treat yourself sometimes. I treated myself to my favorite cheese fries at Sup Dogs. No regrets.