Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to use the summer to get fit for the coming school year

Source: Nicki Minaj - "Anaconda", courtesy of MTV

People always seem to mention that getting a summer body is hard, but I think that summer is the perfect time to get in shape for the coming year. 

Like getting a new haircut to wow everyone when you return in the fall, May through July is the best time of year to transform yourself, especially since some of the hours once dedicated to homework can now be dedicated to getting fit!

While making a big change for your body may not be as easy as a quick trip to the salon, it is one-hundred percent doable and one-hundred percent worth the effort. All it takes is a little bit of work and a clear goal to feel like you're at the top of your game come August.

Drink water—a lot of it!

Chugging water down won’t only keep you hydrated and happy in the midst of the hot summer months, but it will also keep your weight down, your skin clear and your body feeling great. If you feel like you might forget to drink your eight 8-ounce glasses each day, there are plenty of apps that will send you quick little reminders throughout the day to help you get your proper daily dose of H2O.

Change your diet!

The school year comes with two things—stress and snacking. Furthermore, for those who live in a dorm, cooking can be a little bit difficult, and those dining hall cookies seem to be constantly calling our names.

Luckily, summer is the perfect time to change your diet up! Cutting out unhealthy foods from your diet can be one of the most rewarding feelings in the world for both your body and your mind, and finding healthier snack options is just a click away.

Find what works best for you.

Not everybody is going to feel comfortable getting fit by going to the gym—that’s okay. The best way to stay motivated to work out is by finding the exercise routine that you enjoy most. Whether it be going for a run, taking a swim or doing a bit of yoga, there are plenty of ways to get your 60 minutes a day.

YouTube and Pinterest

If you’re not feeling the gym, YouTube is an amazing place to find all kinds of exercises that will work your whole body. From Zumba to yoga to kickboxing, there is something for everybody. The best part about Youtube is that you can find exercises of all lengths—for example, this five minute workout by Zuzka Light will kick your butt and still let you get to work on time.

Pinterest is another great place to search for quick and easy workouts you can do at home! These are great because you can find hundreds of routine worksheets and save them all for future reference. Best of all, there is plenty of motivational fitspo to be found.

Don’t worry about everybody else.

A lot of the time, I get nervous working out with other people around because I’m worried that I look silly, or I get embarrassed because I might not be as strong as the person next to me quite yet. Don’t let this happen to you!

First of all, remember that ninety-nine percent of the time, nobody is paying much attention to what you’re doing—everybody is too concerned with the burn in their own legs and the sweat in their eyes! 

Second, pacing yourself is always the best way to becoming your best self. Never be afraid to push your limits, but know your body—only you can determine what is best for you.

Remember what you’re working towards!

The best thing to do when you’re feeling stressed about working out is to remember that all your hard work is going to pay off. Not only will you have a new glow to everyone around you, but you will also feel amazing about yourself, inside and out. You are strong, you are great and you can do it! Don’t give up!