Town Talk

Block Party eases tensions between Northside residents

The Northside neighborhood is working to create a new plan for future development before its building moratorium expires in January, making it a topic of discussion among local candidates and incumbents.

But Tuesday, Northside residents took time off from planning for the future to try to improve the present at The Good Neighborhood Initiative Block Party, an effort to build the relationship between student and non-student residents in the neighborhood.

The event was a joint initiative between the town of Chapel Hill and the University.

“It’s based on the simple concept of getting people together,” said Linda Convissor, director of local relations for at UNC.

The party was held at the Hargraves Community Center on North Roberson Street. It included a neighborhood pride walk around Northside, live music, games, food, a raffle and a video presentation.

The initiative aimed to introduce long-time residents and students who also live in the area in an effort to reduce resident complaints.

“The complaints we hear the most are taking the trash cans in and out and students having loud parties into the early morning,” Convissor said.

Organizers said the key to a better relationship is to improve communication around the neighborhood.

“Students can just say ‘hi’ to residents out on their front porches,” said Ron Clabo, who has attended the event for three years but is not a resident of Northside.

“It’s all about communication,” said Wade Dansby, a neighborhood resident.

Some of the coordinators said a better relationship could be beneficial to students.

”When students go away during break, there’s often a rise in break ins,” said Dean Blackburn, assistant dean of students. “Students can let permanent residents know so they can look out.”

In return, students could help out residents by keeping the neighborhood clean and running errands for them, Blackburn said.