Town Talk

Carrboro precinct sees high voter turnout, East Franklin draws in expected crowds

As the last few minutes of the voting day ticked away, two voters were still completing their ballots at the new North Carrboro precinct.

As of 7:30 p.m. the location had seen 715 voters, according to North Carrboro Chief Judge Jake Gardner. Out of those, 484 voters visited the Chapel Hill High School-based precinct today while 231 stopped by during early voting or filled out absentee ballots, Gardner said.

Voters weighed in on the Board of Alderman and Chapel Hill Carrboro City School Board races and the quarter-cent sales tax.

“It’s always important to vote, even in the smaller races,” said Carrboro resident Anthony Hotong, who voted at the poll. “You have to find out who has the same views as you do and just hope they will do right for the community.”

Gardner, who said he has worked in voting precincts ever since Carter and Reagan were elected, said he thinks this year was a success.

“This is not a heavyweight election,” Gardner said. “But we’ve had a good turnout.”

Meanwhile, in Chapel Hill, things at the East Franklin Street precinct were going as expected.

The precinct reported a total of 100 voters as of 7 p.m., a number which was anticipated by the poll workers. Officials also reported a total of 45 residents in early voting.

The residents voted on Chapel Hill mayor, town council candidates, school board officials and the quarter-cent sales tax referendum.

Some furry friends were also seen at the precinct with their owners.

“Several dogs came in with their owners and got stickers,” poll worker Erna Quade said.

Polls closed at 7:30 p.m. with a wide range in voter age from college students to older residents.

“We’ve seen people come in voting for their first time to some that have been voting for 60 years,” chief poll worker Iris Schwintzer said.