Town Talk

Carrboro looks to discuss fertilizer tax and climate with state legislature

Carrboro wants state legislators to see green this spring.

On May 7, the Carrboro Board of Aldermen will meet with the state legislature, and a state-wide fertilizer tax and climate change will be at the top of their list of priorities.

“(The legislature) should know that we want them to do something about climate change,” said said Alderman Sammy Slade. “I don’t have any hope about it, but I don’t want it to be because I didn’t say anything.”

At a Tuesday night meeting, Board members suggested several topics for the discussion on local legislative priorities, including anti-fracking, proposing a state-wide fertilizer tax and opposing annual rate hikes to finance nuclear power.

“For a couple years, I have wanted us to put a surtax on fertilizers and use that to offset what it costs us and what it could cost us to keep it out of Lake Jordan,” said Alderwoman Jacquelyn Gist.

But other town officials said they think the Aldermen should avoid controversial discussion.

“Obviously because this is an even-number year, the legislation usually doesn’t take up anything controversial,” said Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton.

Notable

The board also discussed the town’s application for a Community Development Block Grant of up to $250,000 to fund a project to create or retain local jobs.

Town staff propose using the funds to extend the public sewer on Roberson Street — which failed in August and forced several businesses on East Main Street to redirect their sewage — to access 22 additional businesses.

Annette Stone, community and economic development director for Carrboro, said the proposal would provide job retention for existing businesses.

“If the sewer fails again, we will lose 140 jobs,” Gist said.

Stone said the grant could also fund a series of four workshops to assist local non-profits in creating sustainable business plans.

A second public hearing for the proposal will be held on April 24 and the grant application will be submitted on April 30.

Quoted

“It would be a much more expensive project than (the North Carolina Department of Transportation) have endeavored to do,” said Marty Roupe, development review administrator for the town’s zoning division.

Roupe presented four proposals for the realignment of Eubanks Road at Old N.C. 86, and said though the intersection would be a viable space for a traffic circle, the NCDOT’s current plan only provides funding for road realignment, and not for roundabout construction.

“NCDOT’s interest was primarily in improving the safety of the intersection,” he said.

“We might be able to create a very pedestrian- and bicycle-oriented infrastructure that still allows for motor vehicle flow at peak hours,” said Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton, on why he thinks the town should look at the benefits of constructing roundabouts in the area. “I’m saying this with no engineering qualifications whatsoever, but I’m just throwing it out there.”