Town Talk

"WISE mob" rewards Surplus Sids

Town Talk is becoming a little bit broader, and instead of just writing about local government we’re also covering business happenings. Let us know what you think at city@dailytarheel.com.

Surplus Sid’s provides students with funky costumes and unique alternative items, and it is well on its way to becoming more energy efficient through the WISE program.

To celebrate its efforts, Carrboro is holding a cash mob at the East Main Street store on April 21.

The event will be the energy-efficient version of the popular ‘cash mob,’ in which conscientious consumers pro-actively spend their dollars at local businesses that contribute to the good of the community, according to a Carrboro press release.

Barry Keith, owner of Surplus Sid’s, said the town of Carrboro approached him to participate in the cash mob to show appreciation for the store’s use of the WISE program.

“Anything that gets people in the attitude of reducing energy consumption,” he said. “We are becoming more and more energy efficient.”

The WISE program subsidizes improvements to eligible businesses and homes that will reduce a building’s energy consumption by more than 15 percent.

Keith said that his thrift shop has reduced energy consumption by 70 percent since he begin participating in the WISE program.
The roof of Surplus Sid’s was re-insulated and a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system was installed among other improvements to make the shop energy efficient.

The program pays for 40 percent of the cost for insulation improvements and 20 percent of the cost for heating, ventilation and air conditioning upgrades.

Time after Time manager Autumn Spencer said she doesn’t anticipate the April 21 cash mob to affect business at their thrift shop.

“Being a thrift store and supporting local businesses helps everyone to be energy efficient,” she said. “Reduce, reuse and recycle.”