Town Talk

Chapel Hill a 'super cool community'

Chapel Hill is officially the cool place to live.

TravelOrMove.com, a website that picks the top destinations to travel or move to, recently listed Chapel Hill as one of its 64 super cool communities.

Asheville is the only other North Carolina town listed.

Andy Brack, founder of TravelOrMove.com said Chapel Hill has what everyone is looking for — rich culture, entertainment, educational opportunities and a strong sense of community among residents.

“It’s the kind of community that most Americans aspire to live in,” Brack said. “It’s the whole package.”

TravelOrMove.com evaluates communities based on several factors including the culture, quality of life, recreation, health services, local economy and the ‘coolness’ of an area.

Brack, who studied at both Duke University and UNC, said he has experienced both communities.

But in the end, only Chapel Hill made it on the “super cool” list.

“When I was at Duke, people went to Chapel Hill to have fun,” Brack said.

“The coziness of Franklin Street is extraordinary as well as the way the community embraces the school and vice versa,” he said.

Laurie Paolicelli, executive director of the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau, said she wasn’t surprised to hear that Chapel Hill made the list.

“The research shows that alumni, former guests and residents all want to come back,” said Paolicelli. “That tells us that there’s something special here.

John Hines, who graduated from UNC over thirty years ago, said he keeps coming back for games and other University events.

“It’s a mixture of the community and university that make Chapel Hill,” Hines said. “It’s a down-to-earth town that’s open-minded.”

Chapel Hill resident Kevin Darby said he loves living within walking distance to great restaurants and music venues in town.

“The culture and accessibility of the town and its connection with Carrboro make Chapel Hill cool,” Darby said.