Town Talk

Foodies find fun in Chapel Hill contests

Lovers of macaroni and cheese and sardine pizza can rejoice – a Chapel Hill restaurant is giving everybody the chance to be a chef.

The Standard, located at 403 W. Rosemary St., is hosting a pizza contest where residents have the chance to create the new Fall pizza for the restaurant.

The contest began on July 31, and will close Nov. 1.

The winning pizza will land its creator a dinner for four people, priced at $50, gift cards and bragging rights for the rest of the year.

The pizza contest is one of many “foodie” contests coming to Chapel Hill.

But pizza isn’t the only way Chapel Hill foodies can show off their creativity in the kitchen.

Last month, Carolina Brewery offered a similar competition for their burger lovers.

Carolina Brewery has been hosting this competition for the last two years, and they eagerly await next year’s contest.

This year’s winner was Johnno Potts, and his signature burger, “Mama’s Sweet Loving Burger,” will go on the menu sometime this fall.

Potts’ burger had caramelized onions, “million dollar bacon,” and goat cheese, said Matt Clements, the manager at Carolina Brewery.

Clements said the Carolina Brewery received roughly 150 entries.

“We were thrilled,” he said.

For every burger sold during the contest, Carolina Brewery donated a dollar to the Abundance Foundation, an organization that educates residents on sustainable food products.

In return for its donations, the Abundance Foundation allowed the Carolina Brewery to use its ingredients for the contest.

“It was their first official partnership,” said Tami Schwerin, founder and Executive Director for the foundation.

Schwerin said over $500 dollars was donated to the foundation.