Town Talk

Carrboro Aldermen focus on fitness

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen want their town to get physical.

During a Tuesday night meeting, the alderman approved 3 temporary street closing permits for events in March and April that promote fitness.

On April 13, Carrboro will host the Carrboro Open Streets event coordinated by The Carrboro Bicycle Coalition.

The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will include activities such as on-street cycling, dancing and yoga.

“One of the bigger possible attractions are going to be a climbing wall,” said Seth LaJeunesse, a coordinator for the event.

LaJeunesse said they are partnering with the Carrboro Farmer’s Market who will discuss healthy eating at the event.

“We’re really focusing on healthy living,” he said. “It does have a very heavy cycling focus.”

Other upcoming fitness focused events in Carrboro include The Hustle to Health 2K race and the Saint Paul AME Church 5K.

The Hustle to Health 2K race will be held on March 24, and the Saint Paul AME Church 5K will be held on March 2.

The Aldermen also discussed a recent decision by the University to begin charging at park and ride lots in the area.

Some Aldermen are worried that users will start parking in nearby business lots because of the charge.

“I do not want Carrboro to become the free park and ride lot,” said Alderwoman Jacquelyn Gist.

The University plans to implement the charges for the park and ride lot in August.

The Aldermen also scheduled a public hearing for a controversial CVS location in Carrboro.

Last year, the proposed CVS — which will be located at 201 N. Greensboro St. — sparked protests from area groups interested in maintaining the town’s local feel.

The public hearing will take place Feb. 26.

*Notable:
*

Due to the special election being held to fill former Alderman Dan Coleman’s seat on the board, all public hearings scheduled for March 19 are rescheduled for March 21.

Mayor Mark Chilton proclaimed February 2013 “For the Love of Carrboro” month.

*Quotable:
*

“I think the last time I ran 5K I was being chased by a bear,” said Mayor Mark Chilton, about his plants to run in the St. Paul AME Church 5K.