Town Talk

Seasonal graffiti pops up in Carrboro

Seasonal graffiti has appeared on the side of the Beehive on East Weaver Street in the form of bunnies.
Buy Photos Seasonal graffiti has appeared on the side of the Beehive on East Weaver Street in the form of bunnies.

East Weaver Street in Carrboro has welcomed a new population of bunnies — graffiti bunnies.

An anonymous artist recently hung up several white bunny decals on the Beehive Salon building, located at 102 E. Weaver St.

Carrboro resident Joshua Kolling-Perin tweeted a photo of the bunnies on Sunday, commenting on the seasonally-appropriate graffiti.

“They are adorable bunnies,” said Beehive Salon owner Diane Koistinen in an email.

Though Koistinen said the graffiti was done without the consent of the salon, she said the staff loves them.

“They add whimsy,” Koistinen said. “And they may have actually brought spring with them.”

Kolling-Perin agreed.

“It was a cool beautification,” he said. “Something brightening and whimsical.”

This is not the first time Carrboro has seen seasonal graffiti pop up around town. Graffiti depicting groundhogs and reindeer have also made appearances.

“In general, we think street art adds to the flavor of the community,” Koistinen said.

The Beehive Salon building has been subject to graffiti before, though the images were not as pleasant as this new piece of art.

“We were stricken with some really ugly graffiti a few months ago that we painted over,” Koistinen said.

Though Koistinen said she plans to keep these bunnies on the building, some of the decals have already started to fall off.

“Alas, it is not permanent,” she said. “One of the bunnies is escaping from the building.”