Town Talk

Rosemary Street chalkboards remain a mystery

You may have noticed some chalkboards spring up on Rosemary Street lately — or maybe not.

The nondescript chalkboard squares were installed in a few locations by the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership as part of the Rosemary Imagined program.

The chalkboards are supposed to be used for gathering ideas for what the public hopes to see for the future of Rosemary Street — but this hasn’t happened quite yet.

It could be because the chalkboards have no defining features, are in low foot traffic areas and are missing chalk.

It could also be the fact that no one even knows what they are for.

Andrew Troglen, a student at East Chapel Hill High School, assumed the boards were for advertising since he had seen a business use it for that purpose.

Sean O’Neill, a UNC junior, said he only realized the chalkboards when asked about them.

He assumed they were for advertising but thought using them for development suggestions was a good idea.

“I think the people who live here have the best ideas, and it’s always good to listen to the people being served,” said O’Neill.

Morgan Beamon, a senior at UNC, also hadn’t noticed the chalkboards.

He said the idea for the chalkboards was interesting.

“I’m not exactly sure if it’s an efficient way to transform suggestions into projects, but a good way to get input,” Beamon said.

No one mentioned that no one had used the chalkboards for their determined purpose, or that there was no chalk to write with.