Town Talk

Carrboro residents want to know more about zoning

The town of Carrboro’s Planning Board wants residents to get in the zone.

The board presented a report that detailed ways to get residents better informed on zoning issues to the Board of Aldermen Tuesday.

The report follows a series of three conversations the planning board hosted where residents explored specific town zoning issues. There was an average of 24 people at each event.

The planning board was able to uncover some of the challenges that residents face when confronting zoning issues, according to the report.

“I’m perfectly happy to hear form and respond to community members who have opinions on zoning issues,” Alderman Damon Seils said.

Some residents attending the event said they found the jargon used in the town regulations was difficult to understand. The report showed concern that the average person finds the zoning rules confusing and is therefore less likely to be involved in the process.

The planning board wants to solve this problem by making more information accessible to the average person. The board envisions doing this through a mail campaign, where residents would be given zoning information by the city.

The planning board said it also wants to redesign the town website to make zoning information easier to find.

Notable:

The Chapel Hill High School women’s basketball team was honored by the board. The Tigers were the undefeated state champions in the 3A division. The state championship game was played in the Dean E. Smith Center where the Tigers won 69 to 56 over Hickory High School.

The board unanimously approved a resolution making March 29, 2014 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. “Earth Hour.” The resolution calls for residents of Carrboro to participate in something simple to help the environment for one hour, like turning off the lights in their house.

Quotable:

“I’d like to challenge the idea that we can’t stop these things because ultimately we have to for our planet to survive,”? said Alderman Sammy Slade, speaking on the stormwater control requirement.

The board received an update on its 2012 resolution to curb runoff from development sites that makes it way into local creeks and streams.