Town Talk

Friends of the library host book sale

Despite the growing popularity of electronic media, it appears people still like to lose themselves in the pages of a hard cover book.

The Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library hosted a book sale at the Chapel Hill Public Library. It was the third sale since the library’s reopening last year after renovations. 

Chapel Hill resident Kathleen Rogers looked for books for her son about fishing. She was one of about 50 people rummaging through stacks of both fiction and nonfiction books Saturday afternoon. Categories of books ranged from family and health to politics and history.

Martha Brunstein, president of the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library, said about 15 percent of the event’s attendees were UNC students.

The library receives about 30,000 book donations per year. Books received in better condition are sold in the library’s store. The majority of the donated books not held in the library, as well as books that the library wishes to let go, are sold at discounted prices during book sales.

The Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library donates $50,000 annually to the Chapel Hill Public Library, and Brunstein expects that number to grow. The book sale contributes to this donation.

Proceeds from the book sales such as the one last weekend are given by the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library toward public programs of the library for both adults and children.

Bob Schreiner, board member of the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library, said no part of the donation is allocated to salaries of the library’s employees. In addition, the Friends of the Chapel Hill Public Library has no paid staff, only volunteers.

Brunstein said it’s all worth it, though.

“We do it because we love the library.”