Town Talk

Carrboro Board of Aldermen discuss affordable housing, water and sewer

Tuesday night’s amicable Carrboro Board of Aldermen meeting began with the swearing in of a new member, Bethany Chaney, and ended with Chaney jokingly quitting. http://www.ci.carrboro.nc.us/boa/boaMembership.htm

In between, the aldermen discussed affordable housing, water and sewer provisions and plans for a task force to engage the community on energy and climate issues.

Progress, modifications in affordable housing

Anita Badrock of Community Home Trust, a provider of affordable housing, discussed affordable units in the Ballantine neighborhood of Chapel Hill. 

“Affordable housing really creates communities,” she said. “We expect we’re going to have seven more homes out there (in Ballantine). They’re almost done.”

Badrock described the residents of the eight units already occupied, including a school nurse, a veterinary technician and a disabled mother and her children. She said the last time she visited the community, the school nurse was outside bandaging a neighbor’s wound.

Later, planning specialist Jeff Kleaveland reported on affordable units in the Legends subdivision, where affordability was declining for residents in need. The board approved a permit modification that will improve — but not fully mitigate — the situation.

“This is a creative solution, and I think it’s taken a lot of work on the part of the planning department to alleviate some of the pressure of folks who were there on fixed incomes and need this relief,” said Alderman Randee Haven-O’Donnell. http://www.ci.carrboro.nc.us/boa/boaMembership.htm

Climate and energy

Environmental planner Randy Dodd presented plans for a task force to engage the community on energy and climate action planning. The board approved the plans, but several members indicated concern for Dodd’s expenditure of time and effort atop his already full schedule.

“I’m worried about burning you out,” said Alderman Jacquelyn Gist. “Our job is to take care of town resources, and you’re obviously a very fine town resource." 

Gist also recommended the climate and energy task force meet virtually on some occasions, to model positive environmental practices on a direct level. With virtual meetings, task force members would save energy in both transportation and resources consumed by a meeting space.

Alderman Sammy Slade objected to the virtual proposal. 

“One of the advantages we have in local government is the opportunity for community,” he said. “One of the things that’s destroying the planet is the disconnection we have.”

Water and Sewer Authority Report

Steve Dear, a member of the Orange Water and Sewer Authority Board of Directors, delivered a report from the board on the state of water and sewer provisions in Carrboro. 

Dear said Carrboro is often listed among the best communities in the country in terms of its water and sewer, and he recently heard the town’s utilities compared to Singapore’s.

The board has determined, for the third consecutive fiscal year, there will be no increase in water and sewer rates in the 2015 fiscal year.

Dear and the aldermen discussed the use of Jordan Lake as a water source. The board has decided to classify Jordan Lake as an emergency source not to be used as part of the everyday water supply.

“I just hope that’s remembered for the next couple of decades,” Dear said.

Other matters

Dear, this time acting as a community member, suggested that the second Monday in October be formally named Indigenous People’s Day. Columbus Day, a federal holiday on the same date, is already not recognized as a work holiday in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. 

“I think symbolic resolutions matter,” said Dear. “I think there are no such thing as symbolic resolutions.”

The aldermen voted to appoint Quenton Harper to the Board of Directors of the Orange Water and Sewer Authority. Harper, one of three applicants, was praised for the diverse perspective he will bring to the board.

Chaney said she appreciated that Harper lives in a large multi-family complex, where water conservation can be complicated.

“He also adds needed ethnic and racial diversity to the board,” she said.

Gist pointed out that Harper also brings diversity in the form of his job, at Elmo’s Diner.

Finally, with almost no debate, the aldermen approved the installation of a walk-up Wells Fargo ATM in Carrboro Plaza.