Town Talk

Town Council discusses redesigning southern Chapel Hill

The Chapel Hill Town Council is thinking about integrating the Southern Village Park and Ride Lot into plans for redesigning southern Chapel Hill, which will also house the Obey Creek development.

Although the lot is not part of the plans for the Obey Creek, its development could impact the development of Southern Village and Obey Creek.

In the preliminary proposals, Victor Dover, from Dover, Kohl and Partners, said he planned to imbed the parking lot into the shopping area, and the residential and office buildings. The plan also included a pedestrian bridge between the Obey Creek and Southern Village to make the community walkable and bikeable.

But people living in the neighborhood are concerned about the development of the Southern Village Park and Ride Lot.

At their meeting Thursday, Chapel Hill Town Council members discussed the details of the lot development with urban designers and planners but did not decide on a specific design plan.

Lynne Bresler, a resident of Dogwood Acres, said she hoped that the designer could look at a larger picture and take Dogwood neighborhood into consideration.

“I want to make sure that we have good pedestrian and bike connectivity to the park through the park way,” Bresler said. “We’ve just been involved in because we will be impacted by traffic because our road connects 15-501 to the behind.”

Dover said he wanted to attract more people to park in the Southern Village Park and Ride Lot so people can take the public transit system into downtown Chapel Hill.

He said they did not expect to generate benefits from the parking fees. Dover said if people could spend some time in the commercial areas around the parking lot, it would generate benefits.

Councilwoman Maria Palmer said development of lot would serve the needs of the residents of Southern Village.

“What we have heard from Southern Village residents that have said 'these are the thing we need,'” she said.

Palmer said another benefit was that the plan could give more spaces to private businesses which could not afford to rent shops in Chapel Hill.

Bresler said she believed if it was designed well, it could bring more retails.

Philip Meyer, a Southern Village resident, said he was first worried about losing the parking lot but with this new plan, it would make Southern Village a more interesting place.

Southern Village resident Susana Dancy reminded the council that they are responsible for the future of the town.

“I just want to remind you that your responsibility is for the best development, the best land uses and the best directions for the town and it is your responsibility to set the vision for the town," Dancy. "It’s not developers’ responsibility to do that.”