Town Talk

Morris Grove Elementary starts walking classroom program

At Morris Grove Elementary School, students can be seen silently walking around on a paved path through the woods at 7:30 a.m. 

The students listen to curriculum-related podcasts on headsets while walking outside together as part of the Chapel Hill-based Walking Classroom program. At the end of the week students participate in a teacher-led discussion about the podcasts.

Last year, Morris Grove received a grant for two class sets of headsets from the Walking Classroom Institute. About 15 fourth grade students and 20 fifth grade students participate in the program. 

Mary Alicia Lyons, literacy coach at Morris Grove, said that physical activity can positively impact academic achievement.

Morris Grove is one of the first schools to implement the program before school hours.

“You just woke up and walking around helps you get ready for the school day ahead,” said Benny Robertshaw, a fifth-grader at Morris Grove.

Research shows physical activity before school increases attention span throughout the day, Lyons said.

“It kind of prepares us for the day,” fifth-grader Hadjar Bakour said . “Your mind thinks more accurately when you exercise.”

The podcasts connect back with science and social studies curricula for each grade level.

“My favorite is the one we’re doing right now, about slave life and rebellion,” Robertshaw said.

Students listen to each podcast twice for deeper understanding.

“They really do take on the content they listen to,” Lyons said.

Lyons said the students show high levels of engagement in the discussion circles.

“It helps us learn about segregation and Daniel Boone,” fifth-grader Rebbecca Cherry said.

Students walk outside or inside, depending on the weather.

“They especially love it when we get to go outside,” Lyons said. “We’re especially happy for warm days.”

The students enjoy taking in the scenery around the school as they walk.

“You get to see nature,” Bakour said. “It’s calming.”

Fifth-graders at Morris Grove began the program in October. The program was expanded to include fourth-graders three weeks ago. 

“We are grateful to the Walking Classroom for the grant to try out this program,” Lyons said. "It has been a success."