Town Talk

Aldermen discuss Rogers Road Sewer Project cost

On Tuesday, the Carrboro Board of Aldermen met to discuss the Rogers Road Sewer Project. 

The project would extend sewage service to residents of the Historic Rogers Road neighborhood, which sits between Chapel Hill and Carrboro, and was previously home to the Orange County landfill, which shut down in 2013. 

Extending sewage services to Rogers Road would require an “interlocal agreement” on funding between Orange County, Carrboro and Chapel Hill, said Carrboro Planning Director Trish McGuire. 

The sewage extension would cost $1,334,900 in total, with Chapel Hill and Orange County paying 43 pecent of the project each, and Carrboro funding 14 percent of the project. This would mean Carrboro would be expected to contribute $186,886.

The Board of Aldermen said it plans to prioritize community outreach to make sure that members of the Rogers Road neighborhood are comfortable with its plan.

Minister Robert Campbell, a chairperson of the Rogers Road Neighborhood Association, said economic development in the area should also be a primary goal of the project. 

The board voiced concerns about coordination between the county and the two towns. However, Town Manager David Andrews said the Town of Carrboro is committed to the project.

“We have been trying really diligently to keep this moving," McGuire said. "There will be hills and maybe some mountains to climb, but hopefully we’ll keep this going” 

Noteable: 

Board members discussed their plan to talk more about Carrboro Vision2020 during their retreat.

Quoteable: 

"It seems amazing to me that we don't have this documentation from the Senate," Mayor Lydia Lavelle said, regarding the absence of N.C. Senate records. 

@mollyjordan0