View from the Hill

Former UNC system official targets shutdown in Congressional campaign

The government shutdown — now in its third day — has spurred a heated debate from most members of Congress. And now it is working its way into 2014 campaigns.

Laura Fjeld, former vice president and general counsel for the UNC-system General Administration, is running for Rep. Howard Coble, R-N.C.‘s seat to represent the N.C. 6th Congressional District. The 6th district encompasses parts of Orange and Durham counties.

In one of her first press releases, she condemned Coble for the government shutdown.

“This unnecessary government shutdown hurts North Carolina families and businesses at every level, but Congressman Howard Coble caused it along with the rest of his Tea Party bloc.”

“We’ve got a process for lawmakers to address changes in a law they don’t like, and it’s not the ideological blackmail that Congressman Coble is engaging in. North Carolinians are tired of out-of-touch career politicians who put politics above even their most pressing and basic responsibilities, like passing our nation’s budget. This is just plain wrong. We need representatives who have the courage to do the right thing, and focus on solutions, instead of blindly following the Tea Party agenda.“

In a statement Thursday, Coble said he voted to reinstate funding for the National Institute of Health and to reopen national parks and museums.

“We continue to show the American people that we House Republicans, who never wanted this government shutdown, are working toward solutions to reopen important functions of government.

“Anyone who saw those World War II veterans, who had to break down barricades in order to visit the Washington memorial dedicated to their service, would agree that even if we have to do it piece-by-piece, we should work together to find ways to reopen our government.”

“We will continue our efforts to end this shutdown, which was engineered by President Obama and Harry Reid. I urge the Senate to sit down with the House right away to find solutions to this unnecessary shutdown.”

Both those bills passed the House. Obama has said he will veto piecemeal government funding bills.