View from the Hill

Brunstetter joins health firm after years of campaign donations

Shortly after N.C. Sen. Peter Brunstetter, R-Forsyth, announced his retirement, Novant Health systems announced him as executive vice president and legal counsel.

Novant is a health care system company that runs and clinics throughout the southeast.

“Novant Health is committed to its communities and to its patients,” said Brunstetter in a press release. “I’m excited to re-join the organization at a time when it is accelerating its focus and commitment to making healthcare remarkable.”

Brunstetter had served on the company’s board of trustees, including three years as its chairman.

Over the years, Brunstetter has also received campaign contributions from the health care industry. In 2012, nine of his top contributors were from the health care sector.

Throughout his career the General Assembly, Brunstetter received $132,900 from health professionals, $42,100 from donors working in hospitals and nursing homes, and $14,731 from donors in health services.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.