View from the Hill

Will the early bird catch the electoral worm for Josh Stein and Roy Cooper?

The 2016 election is still three years away — but you would never know it, considering preliminary announcements made by two of the state’s most prominent Democrats.

N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper is planning a run for governor in 2016, although he has said it is too early to make an official announcement.

And N.C. Senate Minority Whip Josh Stein, D-Wake, has expressed interest in running for N.C. Attorney General, if Cooper does run against Republican Gov. Pat McCrory.

But on Monday, Stein tweeted that he will run for Cooper’s spot if re-elected to his Senate seat and is committed to helping elect Democrats to the legislature.

Cooper said he plans to work hard in his current position and continue defending the state. North Carolina is facing a lawsuit from the U.S. Department of Justice about its new election law.

Still, Cooper has been criticized by Republicans for hinting at running when the election would be in three years.

But no matter when or if Cooper and Stein make a formal announcement, by simply hinting at running, they are already entering into the campaign forum.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.