View from the Hill

Teacher pay could be a winning issue for McCrory

Gov. Pat McCrory has recently begun discussing increasing teacher pay for teachers in certain subject areas, which may be a way for him to improve his approval rating.

A study by Public Policy Polling released this week shows his approval rating dropped to 37 percent in the past month.

Meanwhile, voters also have a 17 percent approval rating for the General Assembly, according to the poll.

But increasing teacher pay could be a way for Republicans to regain voter support. The poll showed 72 percent of voters think teachers are paid too little, including 60 percent of Republicans.

Advocating an increase in teacher pay could serve as a way to gain back public support, which would be helpful as Republican legislators go into a midterm election.

But even if McCrory does increase teacher pay, the nature of the pay raise could matter.

The poll showed 79 percent of voters support a proposal by former Gov. Jim Hunt to increase teacher pay to the national average in four years, while McCrory is proposing to increase pay for science and math teachers.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.