View from the Hill

Carolina Capitol Roundup: March 17-21

The latest edition of View from the Hill’s weekly roundup of the most interesting news from Washington, D.C.

Hagan announces $2.7 million in grant for N.C. A&T

Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., announced that the U.S. Department of Agriculture would award N.C. Agriculture & Technical State University more than $2.7 million in grants.

The grants will go to research, teaching and extension programs.

"I'm pleased N.C. A&T has been awarded these grants, which will provide opportunities for the next generation of farmers and ranchers and benefit our entire agriculture industry," Hagan said in a statement.

The grants are part of the Department of Agriculture's efforts to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities through the National Institute of Food and Agriculture.

This year, the department announced 75 grants worth $35 million to support HBCU institutions.

Burr joins bipartisan coalition for children's health grants

Last week, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., joined a group of Democratic and Republican senators to provide child care.

Burr was joined by Sens. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., and Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, to announce that the Senate had passed the reauthorization of the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act.

The law, which has been due for reauthorization since 2002, provides money for state efforts to provide child care for low-income families that are working, train for work, attend school or need special protective services.

"Our working together made sure that our hardest working parents have access to quality, safe child care," Burr said in a statement. "This is a good day for the United States Senate, our working parents, and their children."

Among the changes made in the new bill include the following:

* Requiring states to report how they are working to expand care,

* Addressing physical activity and nutrition needs

* Strengthening coordination with for a more comprehensive early childhood education.

* Requiring states to meet the needs of disabled children.

* Providing protections for families receiving assistance by ensuring children receive assistance for at least a year and parents' irregular work schedule is taken into account when re-determining eligibility.

* Ensuring child care meets health and safety standards.

Quote of the Week

"Part of my job as a Congressman is to help Washington bureaucrats clearly understand the local problems their decisions create."

That was what Rep. Robert Pittenger, R-N.C., said after he contacted the Federal Aviation Administration to reopen a runway at Charlotte-Douglas Airport after the agency had it closed.

According a statement, Pittenger said many of his constituents had complained about noise after planes began landing close to neighborhoods.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.