View from the Hill

Proposed Senate debate set to go on without Kay Hagan

An Oct. 21 debate hosted by some of the biggest names in North Carolina media might consist of U.S. Senate candidate Thom Tillis standing in the spotlight — alone.

Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., said Tuesday she would not debate Tillis in the forum hosted by Time Warner Cable, the (Raleigh) News & Observer and the Charlotte Observer, according to TWC News.

Tillis said he plans to go on alone unless Libertarian candidate Sean Haugh musters a 15 percent voter approval in late September or October polls.

Hagan has agreed to three debates with Tillis, the first of which took place last week. She refused five other debates.

Due to the pivotal nature of this race — the winner could determine which party holds the majority in Congress — it’s not clear why Hagan would choose not to take advantage of every possible opportunity to debate her opponent.

“Hagan’s decision to decline the debate invitation came as a surprise to some political observers due to how close the race is,” said Time Warner Cable in a statement, especially in light of the reputation Hagan garnered in 2008 for her willingness to pressure her opponent, Elizabeth Dole, for more debates.

A Hagan spokeswoman told TWC News in a statement that the senator thinks three debates are enough for the constituents “to see the contrast between Kay's record of fighting for North Carolina and Speaker Tillis' agenda in the Legislature that has hurt our middle class.”

In a statement, Tillis quoted Andy Taylor, a political science professor at N.C. State University, as believing that the Republican candidate could benefit from Hagan's refusal.

“Tillis has been working to paint the picture that (Hagan) is out of touch with North Carolinians, and this could help him make that point. Here he can demonstrate that visually by saying, ‘Look, I'm here, and I don't know where she is,’” Taylor said.

Tillis sent Hagan a letter Tuesday asking her to reconsider her refusals.

Apparently, the debate will go on with or without Hagan.

“We think we’ve planned a great event," said Rick Thames, editor of the Charlotte Observer, in the Tillis statement. "We hope that over time she will reconsider, but we think it will be a great event for the voters regardless."