View from the Hill

Ted Cruz announces 2016 run at Liberty University, but students steal the social media show

On Monday morning, outspoken and ultra-conservative Sen. Ted Cruz became the first major candidate to enter the presidential race for 2016.

Cruz made his announcement during the student convocation at Liberty University — possibly the perfect backdrop for the Texas Republican.

Liberty University has sued to block the Affordable Care Act, a law that Cruz has been fighting since the legislation passed in 2010. Plus, it is the world’s largest Christian university, and Cruz was able to show off his evangelical Christian beliefs.

By choosing Liberty University, Cruz was also guaranteeing himself an audience. He made his announcement during the mandatory student convocation, allowing him to speak to over 13,500 students.

But not everyone was prepared to sit through Cruz’s speech, and eventually students took to posting their thoughts on Yik Yak.

Some students were amused at the number of times the senator used the word “imagine”.

“Imagine me not saying imagine. Now that’s a hard one to imagine."

“Keeps saying imagine so no one can say he makes promises he doesn’t keep.”

“Alrighty change of plans. I don’t think I can drink fast enough to keep up with how many times he says imagine. I already owe like 5 shots. I can’t catch up.”

Others were concerned about the color of his tie.

"His tie does not match his speech."

"He needs a red tie."

And some students were just confused.

"Why are people standing up and cheering? Life wtf?"

“Why are we clapping?” “I have no idea.”

“This Japanese exchange kid front of me is so confused rn.”

A few Liberty students took advantage of Cruz’s speech and decided to show their support for possible Republican challenger Rand Paul.

Even though not all of the students appreciated Cruz’s remarks, Liberty University was the ideal place for him to announce his bid for the presidency — because at the passionately Christian school, he was at least taken somewhat seriously.