View from the Hill

Ellen Page grills Ted Cruz at Iowa State Fair

While Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz grilled and took questions at the Iowa State Far on Aug. 21, he received an unexpected visitor.

Actress Ellen Page, who came out as a lesbian in February 2014, approached the Texas senator and began grilling him about the discrimination LGBT citizens currently face in the U.S.

Cruz was quick to steer the conversation away from LGBT rights, and instead brought up the issue of religious freedom — which he feels is being attacked by the fight against LGBT-based discrimination.

“It’s not as if they’re really going to find common ground,” said Steven Greene, political science professor at NC State. He said he thinks the discussion’s publicity was a win-win for both involved.

“At this point, candidates are in what we call the invisible primary, trying to convince the truly important people — major fundraisers, important activists — that they’re the horse to back. Cruz, who needs help in the polls anyway, is doing just that,” Greene said.

However, the current polls, which show Cruz faltering, don’t mean nearly as much as the media would like for them to, he said. 

Rhonda Gibson, journalism professor at UNC, said that Cruz is acting in character and probably appealing to his voting base.

“He’s been consistently against marriage equality,” said Gibson. “This was another example of him staying on message — it makes sense.”

She said she is worried, however, about the impact the conversation and its coverage will have on the fight against LGBT discrimination.

“I’m a little disappointed in the news coverage because it turned into a 'he said, she said.' The lack of comprehensive coverage keeps the conversation about LGBT rights superficial," Gibson said. 

She said she would like to see more depth in reporting of these events, and that people ought to consider more fully the ramifications of their views — particularly for civil servants and business leaders who are part of the LGBT community. 

“None of the coverage really follows up with what Cruz means by religious freedom,” Gibson said.

While the debate didn't take place in a traditional setting, Greene said it was a chance to start a meaningful discussion.

“We don’t get enough frank conversations with interesting viewpoints,” he said. “This was something not so canned and planned. When you’re campaigning in a public forum, you have to be ready for things like this, and he was.”