View from the Hill

NC Politicians go big or go home

The big game just got bigger.

The stakes continue to climb for Super Bowl L as Senators Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Thom Tillis, R-N.C., have placed a bet with Colorado Senators Cory Gardner, R-C.O., and Michael Bennett, D-C.O., on the upcoming game. 

The wager outlines the following conditions for the freshman senator of the losing state (North Carolina’s Thom Tillis and Colorado’s Cory Gardner):

• The losing freshman senator must give specific shout-outs to the Super Bowl champion’s head coach, quarterback, fan base and detail the greatness of the Super Bowl champion’s home state.
  • The losing senators must wear a tie of the team color of the Super Bowl champion during the speech.
  • The winning freshman senator must preside over the Senate as the losing freshman senator delivers his speech.
  • For an added dose of humility, the written remarks must be reviewed and approved in advance by the winning senators. 

Burr said in an email that he predicts the Panthers will win 34-21.

“If the Cam Newton that we’ve seen this season comes out and starts throwing bullets then we are going to have a high scoring game,” he said. “The other thing to keep in mind is just how good the Panthers defense is.”

This wager follows a recent trend of congress getting involved in the football championship season.

Last week, Sen. John McCain, R-A.Z., humbly spoke to the Senate floor, fulfilling an earlier wager he lost with Tillis regarding the playoff game between the Panthers and Arizona Cardinals. 

The wagers aren’t just for members of congress.

N.C. Gov. Pat McCrory and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper have joined in the fun, announcing their own Super Bowl bet. 

The bet asks for the losing state’s governor to donate food and pet food to a local food bank and animal shelter in the winning state.

Sarah Treul, an assistant professor in the UNC political science department, said in an email the wagers are a way for politicians to connect with constituents and show state pride. 

“Most people in Colorado and North Carolina will tune in to the Super Bowl, so by making a friendly wager, the senators are reminding their constituents that they are one of them and that they believe in their local team,” she said.

The Super Bowl is the perfect opportunity for members of congress to connect with their constituents since it is non-controversial, Treul said.

Yet Treul questions the impact the wager will have.

“It is unlikely the wager really matters to most constituents, but it certainly does not hurt the member's favorability,” she said.

@kentomcdonald