You Asked for It

You Asked for It: In which we register you for classes and advise majoring in LFIT

<p>Kiana Cole, a junior journalism major, and Alison Krug, a senior journalism major, are the writers of You Asked for It.</p>
Buy Photos

Kiana Cole, a junior journalism major, and Alison Krug, a senior journalism major, are the writers of You Asked for It.

Alison Krug (JAPN 277) and Kiana Cole (HIST 398) are the writers of UNC’s premier (only!) satirical advice column. Results may vary.

You: How do I decide what to major in?

You Asked For It: Deciding your life’s work as a young adult is good because it forces you to manage serious responsibilities, but it’s bad because you are by no means an adult and thought astronomy was anthropology when you declared it as your major.

If you’re a first-year, toss a coin. You can change your major every 15 minutes!

If you’re not, the first step is ultimately letting the entry level prerequisite classes you’re forced to take determine your future. If you’re thinking about being a doctor, take Biology 101 and that feeling will go away.

Don’t count out those general education classes, though. This Thanksgiving, muster up the courage to tell your parents that even though you did no actual skiing or snowboarding in your skiing and snowboarding LFIT, it’s most likely your passion and definitely your new major.

Remember that your major doesn’t dictate the rest of your life. I’m not saying if you majored in economics and worked in real estate that you could, like, run for president, but hey, Stranger Things™ have happened.

You: How do I make sure I get all the classes I need during registration?

YAFI: Class registration is a beautiful, natural process that must be approached with delicacy and care.

ConnectCarolina can sense fear, so don’t break eye contact. Stare fervently at the class directory and know that a single blink can betray you when you end up in three sections of a PSYCH 101 recitation and Introduction to Volleyball.

It’s easy to begin registration with the best of intentions and a well-planned potential schedule and to find yourself an hour later enrolled in three first-year seminars and with somehow fewer PH credits than you had when you began.

Take the time beforehand to write out a dream schedule and then a few backup schedules just in case! It’s comforting to have somewhere between one and 193 backup schedules for if you don’t get your first-choice schedule, or even your second-choice schedule, or even your 17th-choice schedule.