Town should ease space regulations on food trucks

Chapel Hill prides itself in having a homey, college-town atmosphere, deriving its energy from the University and the vibrancy of small shops, bars and restaurants. Yet this entrepreneurial environment has not found a place for food truck vendors, who struggle to operate within the town’s rigorous regulations. As Chapel Hill’s planning board pursues updated regulations at a meeting later this month, it should go beyond keeping tax dollars within the county and ease restrictions on where the trucks can set up shop.

A new ordinance on food trucks has been proposed as a move to alleviate the currently burdensome licensing process. But it would only allow food trucks to operate in private lots when the brick-and-mortar business is not open — and would not allow more than one food truck per acre, with a maximum two trucks per lot. In addition, food trucks would be required to obtain annual zoning permits and annual privilege licenses from the town.

These restrictions place an undue burden on where — and when — food trucks operate.

A more reasonable model can be found in neighboring Durham, whose food truck niche has flourished with the advent of round-ups during which a number of food trucks can gather and cater to hundreds of customers. With looser regulations on food trucks, the town will have more freedom to be innovative. With that innovation, it can benefit from the presence of this new entrepreneurial demographic.

With some trucks based in other counties, ensuring that the tax dollars remain in Orange County could prove difficult. But Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt and the Town Council should not overlook the fact that trucks will need more lenient regulations to provide a meaningful boost to the town’s tax base.

Such an initiative would spur entrepreneurship — and offer more for customers and restaurateurs — in Chapel Hill.