Pit Talk

#PassFir5t movement lets the Tar Heel community show support for Marshall

Buy Photos

When smooth-as-butter point guard Kendall Marshall seriously injured his right wrist in Sunday’s win over Creighton, many fans were upset. Not necessarily because he might not play in Friday’s Sweet Sixteen match-up against 13-seed Ohio, but because he required surgery to repair the wrist. Oh yeah, and we freakin’ love our team.

Since that Sunday night, Marshall has received a shocking amount of support from his Twitter followers. From people’s prayers for a successful surgery on Monday morning (which went great, Kendall says he’s screwed) to well wishes throughout the day, Marshall experienced the warmth of the Carolina Way.

On Tuesday, #passfir5t began trending on Twitter. Pass Fir5t Carolina, who created the hash tag and subsequent movement, is asking fans to wear the number five (Marshall’s number) on their right wrist for the Sweet Sixteen game in order to recognize Marshall’s injury. Following this request, fans and students began posting photos of their wrists on the social network, with several pictures uploaded every hour.

Stories like these are why I’m proud to be a Tar Heel. Check out some of my favorite wrist pics below. If you want to see the movement for yourself, see the #passfir5t hashtag on Twitter.

[View the story “#passfir5t pictures” on Storify]