In December 2012, two UNC female victims of sexual assault spoke up about what they said was a deeply rooted problem with the University’s handling of sexual misconduct — one that they said was inappropriate, time-consuming and traumatic. Those allegations drove three current students, one former student and one former administrator to file a complaint against the University with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleging that UNC facilitated a hostile environment for victims reporting sexual assault.
To help bring the University into compliance with the Department of Education’s “Dear Colleague” letter, the University has also hired Ew Quimbaya-Winship to serve as UNC’s Deputy Title IX Officer, or student complaint coordinator, starting March 11, 2013.
The University's Sexual Assault Task Force convenes for the first time in May 2013 to address changing the University's misconduct policies related to sexual assault.
On Aug. 28, 2014, the University released its new policy on discrimination, harassment and related misconduct.
An amendment to the Interfraternity Council’s constitution requiring each fraternity to undergo a University-approved sexual assault and violence prevention program at least once every two years takes effect this fall.Read More »
The University released an updated sexual assault policy Thursday. Senior writers Bob Bryan and Carolyn Ebeling answer some of the most important questions about the policy and how it differs from the one UNC used previously.Read More »
UNC students have never been told what “yes” is.Read More »
For the first time at UNC, students have a specially trained counselor to turn to for confidential advising after experiencing sexual assault.Read More »
The final report of a UNC-system campus security initiative was unveiled Thursday at the Board of Governors meeting in Chapel Hill.Read More »
On the heels of a national push to address sexual violence on college campuses, UNC is set to implement its new sexual assault policy for the fall semester.Read More »
Andrea Pino is ready to move on from UNC, but she won’t move on from the movement she started.Read More »
More than a year after the University was accused of mishandling sexual assault, students are still without a revised sexual assault policy.Read More »
When top officials from the Obama administration tour the country to raise awareness of campus sexual assault, North Carolina is the first stop on the list.Read More »
The sound of hundreds of heels on the brick walkways of Polk Place preluded a serious conversation about interpersonal violence prevention last Thursday.Read More »
UNC freshman Matt Wotus graduated high school without ever having had a formal lesson about consent to sexual activity.Read More »
U.S. Department of Education investigators have arrived on campus, looking for student input as part of an inquiry into UNC’s handling sexual assault.Read More »
The Sexual Assault Task Force met Wednesday to revise the most recent draft of the University’s new sexual assault policy.Read More »