Daniel Price Assistant Sports Editor

Articles

Jessica Breland led the Tar Heels with 19 points Monday and missed only one shot ? what could have been the second dunk ever by a UNC woman.

Breland shines in UNC rout

The post again dominated the stat line from the onset for the North Carolina women's basketball team in its 102-68 demolition of Kennesaw State. Jessica Breland paced the team with a game-high 19 points and 10 rebounds with just one missed shot — but what a glorious missed shot it was.

North Carolina freshman Ed Davis registered a double-double ? 10 points 14 rebounds ? and one block in his first collegiate game.

UNC freshmen excel in post play Saturday

With Tyler Hansbrough out of the lineup Saturday Tar Heel veteran Deon Thompson stepped up to score 17 points and grab seven rebounds but it was a couple of rookies who stole the show in the paint. The Tar Heel freshmen duo of Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller combined to score 28 points on 8-of-12 shooting.

TV air times not up to UNC

At 3:37 p.m. Saturday North Carolina kicker Jay Wooten booted the Tar Heels' opening kickoff in College Park Md. At 4 p.m. back in Chapel Hill the basketball team opened its season against the Penn Quakers in front of a not-quite-full Smith Center. But it wasn't UNC's fault.

Teammates to the letter

Last season one word characterized the North Carolina field hockey team: Dominance.This year one word can't do it. It takes 23 — one for each member of the team.Soon after the squad lost its third game of the season — and its best player Danielle Forword to a torn ACL — on Oct. 10 team leaders called a players-only meeting.

The Tar Heels' field hockey team was eliminated Friday night from the ACC Tournament, falling 2-1 against Wake Forest.

WFU keeper stops Heels in semis

DURHAM — Talk about taking a team out of its comfort zone. That is just what third-seeded Wake Forest did to the second-seeded North Carolina field hockey squad Friday night in the Tar Heels' 2-1 loss in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament. To this point in the season UNC regularly would get two-assist goals from inside the crowded shooting circle taking full advantage of even the smallest of openings.

Scoring goals earning degrees

In a society where ""student-athletes"" are often scoffed at" North Carolina is doing its part to debunk the stereotype of the dumb jock. In the NCAA's most recent graduation success rates report — which included data from the freshman classes of 1998-2001 — it found UNC to have a success rate of 85 percent" seven percentage points higher than the average for all Division I schools.

Field hockey looking to rebound after 7-0 loss

Never has a North Carolina field hockey team faced the scenario the 2008 squad is facing this week. The No. 6 Tar Heels are hoping to rebound from a 7-0 loss at the hands of the No. 1 Maryland Terrapins with a solid performance against Old Dominion and Davidson this weekend in UNC's last action before postseason play begins.