Tuesday October 4th

Ethan E. Horton

News

NC court limits power of racially gerrymandered legislature to amend state constitution

A racially gerrymandered legislature cannot propose amendments to the North Carolina Constitution, according to an Aug. 19 ruling from the N.C. Supreme Court. The case, NAACP v. Moore, was decided by a 4-3 vote along party lines. The decision stems from a U.S. District Court decision in 2016, which said that North Carolina’s state district maps were illegally racially gerrymandered. 

Read More »
News

N.C. court extends voting rights to tens of thousands with felony convictions

The 2-1 ruling in Community Success Initiative v. Moore said the denial of voting rights to people on probation, parole or post-release supervision violates N.C. Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause. Before the ruling was implemented by the Court of Appeals, people with felony convictions who were not in jail or prison could not vote under a 1973 general statute. More than 56,000 people who have been denied voting rights under the almost 50-year-old statute will become newly eligible.

Read More »
News

'It's really powerful': Chapel Hill Police Department Crisis Unit hires first peer support specialist

The Chapel Hill Police Department Crisis Unit recently hired Laverne Burton as its first peer support specialist. She began in the role on June 13. The new position is designed to help those who need mental health support connect with someone with lived experience. Burton works mainly with unsheltered people and often meets them in the street to provide them with support and resources. 

Read More »
B3 Coffee team members Lauren Winnix and Alex Martel (left to right) work the kiosk on opening day at the Chapel Hill Public Library on Saturday, July 9, 2022. Photo courtesy of B3 co-founder Jacklyn Boheler.
News

Being, belonging, becoming: B3 Coffee holds grand opening at Chapel Hill Public Library

B3 Coffee held a grand opening for its first permanent kiosk in the lobby of the Chapel Hill Public Library on Saturday, serving about 150 customers throughout the day.  Jacklyn Boheler founded the nonprofit B3 Coffee with two other UNC graduate students to use coffee to help bring people together and work towards the destigmatization of disabilities.  For the past two years, B3 has been holding pop-up coffee events and catering services across the Chapel Hill community.

Read More »
News

'There’s no immediate solution': All-time high gas prices impact students, public transit

In June, gas stations across the country displayed the highest average prices ever recorded. In some areas of the country, this means average gas prices nearly reached $6.50 per gallon.  In the Durham-Chapel Hill area, average gas prices reached a record-high $4.68 on June 11. The Biden administration has released 30 million barrels of strategic oil reserves, but supply chain expert and N.C. State professor Robert Handfield said the extra gasoline in markets will barely make a dent in the supply deficit America is currently facing.

Read More »

More articles »

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022