Ethan E. Horton

City & State Editor

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.

City & State

NAACP, Common Cause sue in federal court, alleging new maps are racially gerrymandered

The N.C. NAACP and Common Cause sued in federal court on Tuesday morning to stop the use of newly drawn maps because they constitute a racial gerrymander. The lawsuit — the third challenging North Carolina's new maps — alleges that the maps for North Carolina's congressional delegation, its state house and its state senate were all racially gerrymandered.

More articles »

News

CH Town Council Candidates Respond to Housing Debate

On this episode of Before You Vote, we are joined by the Opinion desk editor Le Ha and assistant editor Laney Crawley to take a closer look at the candidates who are running for Chapel Hill Town Council. We learn what each candidate said when the Opinion board asked: “What do you see as a solution for the lack of housing in Chapel Hill?” Listen now, for a collection of candidate responses and analysis of their points. Audio Editing by Sierra Pfeifer and music by Adrian Tillman. 

News

2023 Local Elections, Episode 3

In episode 3 of Before You Vote, City & State desk editor Ethan Horton continues to break down what you need to know before voting in the 2023 local elections. This week, writers Emma Hall and Tori Newby join the podcast to talk about the Carrboro Town Council race and how Chapel Hill candidates view issues like park sustainability and the environmental protection. Don't forget to vote! Early voting ends tomorrow and this Tuesday, November 7, is Election Day.  Audio editing by Sierra Pfeifer and music by Adrian Tillman. 

News

2023 Local Elections, Episode 2

In episode 2 of Before You Vote, Ethan Horton, Lucy Marques and Walker Livingston from the City & State desk continue to break down what you need to know before voting in the 2023 local elections. This week, the main dividing lines in the Chapel Hill mayoral race, the most contentious race of the cycle, and more CHCCS School Board candidates.  Audio editing by Sierra Pfeifer and music by Adrian Tillman. 

News

2023 Local Elections, Episode 1

Welcome to a new season of Before You Vote, The Daily Tar Heel’s election podcast. This season, we will be breaking down what you need to know about voting before the 2023 local elections. In this episode, Ethan Horton, Lucy Marques and Walker Livingston from the city and state desk go over some of the school board candidates, Barbara Foushee's campaign for Carrboro Mayor and campaign finance.  From October 19 to November 4, you can register to vote and vote early. October 31 is the deadline to request an absentee ballot. November 7 is Election Day. 

News

2022 Midterms Episode 5: Voting accessibility and campaign spending

In this episode, City & State Assistant Editors Samuel Long and Ethan Horton talk to reporters Maggie McIntyre and Lucy Marques about accessibility barriers to voting as well as campaign spending.  Election Day is less than a week away and early voting ends on Nov. 5. Go vote! This episode was produced by Audio Editor Will Christensen.

More media »