Thursday February 2nd

Ethan E. Horton

The Legislative Building located in Raleigh houses North Carolina's General Assembly. Republicans fell one seat shy of a veto-proof supermajority in the N.C. House in the 2022 midterm election.
News

Republicans fall one seat short of regaining supermajority in NC General Assembly

According to unofficial results, Republicans flipped two seats in the N.C. House and two in the N.C. Senate, meaning they would fall one seat short of a supermajority in the state House. This means that Republican lawmakers in the General Assembly will not be able to override a veto from Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper. Republicans needed 72 to gain this veto-proof power but only appeared to win 71 out of 120, falling short of the three-fifths margin for a supermajority. In the state senate, Republicans appeared to win 30 seats out of 50. 

Read More »
News

'It's awesome': NC State Fair returns to fairgrounds, attendance rebounds

This year, the N.C. State Fair features dozens of new foods, five new rides and the new N.C. State Fair Bacon Trail.  The fair opens daily at 9 a.m. and closes at 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and at midnight on Friday and Saturday until Oct. 23. Giant watermelons and pumpkins, a staple each year, will be on display for the entire 11-day event. The largest pumpkin, grown by Chris Rodebaugh of West Virginia, weighed in at nearly 1,500 pounds. 

Read More »

More articles »

News

2022 Midterms Episode 5: Voting accessibility and campaign spending

In this episode, City & State Assistant Editors Samuel Long and Ethan Horton talk to reporters Maggie McIntyre and Lucy Marques about accessibility barriers to voting as well as campaign spending.  Election Day is less than a week away and early voting ends on Nov. 5. Go vote! This episode was produced by Audio Editor Will Christensen.

More media »

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Housing Edition