Heidi Pérez-Moreno

Articles

DTH Photo Illustration. Only two weeks after students were expected to leave their on-campus housing and attend classes remotely, students living off-campus are struggling with internet accessibility.

Off-campus students struggle with internet access during a remote semester

Several off-campus students at UNC are struggling with internet connectivity issues this fall. Since the pandemic caused undergraduate classes to go online, access to internet has become essential. Jeff Sural, director of the North Carolina Broadband Infrastructure Office, said the influx of college students and residents using the internet in quarantine can result in slower internet connections for those in the area. UNC is offering students a $200 internet supplement award through the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid to help students purchase internet this semester, UNC Media Relations said in an email.

A DTH Photo Illustration. A row of dominoes falls over one by one.

UNC ignites ‘domino effect’ for universities across the country to move classes online

It’s been about a week since UNC-Chapel Hill announced undergraduate classes would go online after reporting several COVID-19 clusters. Since then, colleges and universities across the country have either delayed the start of in-person classes or moved the fall semester entirely online after reporting similar cases. “UNC was the first domino — the very first domino to fall,” said Bryan Alexander, a higher-ed thinker and futurist who teaches graduate seminars at Georgetown University. “When we saw UNC fall off the map, it was very much, ‘When is this going to happen to us?'” Michael Dugan, a student senator for Dillon Hall at Notre Dame, said.  “A lot of students are just prepared to pack up and leave if need be,” said Thomas Shults, a broadcast and digital journalism senior at Syracuse who is living off campus this semester.

Media

Chair of the Faculty Mimi Chapman speaks at the Faculty Executive Committee meeting on Monday, Aug. 31, 2020. The committee discussed actions that the university could take to prevent another catastrophic reopening in the spring semester.

fec 0831.png