Joe Woodruff Staff Writer

News

Chapel Hill Transit could purchase _¶ xed-price fuel

Officials are looking to stabilize Chapel Hill Transit's fuel costs amid swings in prices and an uncertain economic environment. The free local bus system might start purchasing fuel requirements up to a year ahead of time through fixed-price contracts said Brian Litchfield assistant director of Chapel Hill Transit.

News

Group offers health options

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce is now first in the state to offer discounted health care directly to its members. The chamber is attempting to provide a health care option to employers who struggle to insure their employees by allowing members to seek coverage directly from the chamber.

News

County could adopt goals to ensure justice

The Orange County Board of Commissioners will consider becoming one of the first in the nation to adopt a set of guidelines ensuring fairness consideration in decisions. The board will review the final draft of a proposed social justice goal at its meeting tonight.

News

Area offers several Halloween alternatives to Franklin Street festivities

A record-breaking 80000 revelers showed up to celebrate Halloween on Franklin Street last year. And even though the town of Chapel Hill is aiming to downscale celebrations this year the attendees will most likely still number in the tens of thousands.For those not keen on crowds drunks or mounted police several alternative festivities are taking place in and around Chapel Hill Friday ranging from late-night live music to kid-friendly daytime events.

News

Residents split over Chilton's endorsement

With his recent endorsement of Pat McCrory for governor Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton joins the list of Democratic politicians backing the Republican Charlotte mayor's candidacy. But in an area known for its left-leaning politics — 90 percent of Orange County residents voted for Democrat Mike Easley in the 2004 governor's race — Chilton's decision has provoked mixed responses.

More articles »