Thursday December 8th

Maddie Van Meter

News

A look at the enforcement of abortion bans and restrictive laws in North Carolina

Following the reversal of Roe v. Wade, District Court Judge William Osteen Jr. lifted an injunction that blocked North Carolina's ban on abortions performed past the 20th week of pregnancy.  Since, there have been discrepancies in how restrictions are enforced. This includes the ability to investigate a loss of pregnancy resulting from noncriminal acts, as well as the ability for prosecutors to decide whether to accept abortion cases. 

Read More »
News

CHCCS and OCS need outside consultant for development of capital, report finds

Orange County is in need of an outside consultant for the continued development of school capital in Orange County Schools and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, according to a report by the Capital Needs Work Group. CHCCS and OCS rank first and third respectively in statewide per-pupil funding. Despite this, a review by the work group found that funding availability is still a “significant issue” for both districts.

Read More »
News

Here's what you need to know about Alcohol Law Enforcement's authority in North Carolina

Recent events in Chapel Hill, including a forceful student arrest on Franklin Street, have left some residents wondering about Alcohol Law Enforcement's purpose, power and presence – especially in a college town. ALE enforces the state’s alcoholic beverage control, lottery and tobacco laws. Its mission, according to its website, is to “reduce crime and enhance public safety."

Read More »

More articles »

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review