Mark Thompson Staff Writer

softball
Sports

Softball: Brown Heels slide past UNC-Charlotte

Breanna Brown took off in a dead sprint to steal second base. As Brown slid into second the throw from UNC-Charlotte catcher Tenaya Tucker bounced off Brown's hand and into the outfield. The errant throw allowed her to keep running as she rounded the remaining bases and scored the team's first run en route to a 2-0 victory against the 49ers.

Sports

Softball: Spaulding's position change spurs success

It wasn't until a national tournament on an Oklahoma club team that Danielle Spaulding realized she could be a top-tier pitcher. There are certain moments when an athlete's skill and potential merge; this was hers. Spaulding a junior spent the summer after her freshman year with her sister in Oklahoma playing club softball.

Sports

Men's golf team looks to fix weaknesses

The difference might be as little as a few feet. With a strong showing in its last tournament of the fall season the UNC men's golf team enters the offseason with one thing in mind: putting. The team finished in sixth place at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at the Ridges tournament which ended Sunday led by senior Robert Riesen who finished ninth individually.

golf
Sports

Women's golf team opens strong

For the North Carolina women's golf team patience isn't just a virtue. It's a lifeline. Coach Sally Austin said she has stressed the importance of patience from the start of the season for a Tar Heel team that didn't finish in the top three of any tournament last year. And already it seems to be paying off.

More articles »