Mary Drue Hall

Articles

Mary Drue

Column: An ode to Lisa Drew

"Abstinence-only education doesn’t work. In fact, all of the evidence shows that abstinence-only education is ineffective at best, but also that it potentially contributes to higher teen pregnancy and birth rates."

Mary Drue

Column: The best places to have sex on campus

But here’s the thing about study lounges — If I’m an RA in Hojo and I see two feet peeking out from under a table and a young first-year's head thrown back in glorious ecstasy, do I know what’s going on? Absolutely. But am I going to step in and say something? Looking less likely.

Column: The 'perfect' gift

"The ‘perfect’ gift for a partner seems ever-elusive, and rightly so. How could it be possible to convey the true complications and complexities of love in an object that can be wrapped in paper and set under a tree? No matter how much you spend, no gift can say what you want to convey better than you could with your own words and actions."

Mary Drue

Column: Like a virgin

"The whole concept of virginity, although entrenched in our culture, religion and education, needs a serious makeover. Like, let’s Queer Eye that shit." 

Mary Drue

Column: Inescapable misogyny

The culture of these sites threatens to reverse whatever progress we’ve made in the past fifty years promoting sexual agency and reducing the shame and stigma of female sexuality. Personally, that’s not really a path I want to go down. Do you?

Mary Drue

Column: Rebuttal

"The point of my article was less 'men are trash' (that’s slated for January) and more 'society makes us believe that fat is undesirable and develop irrelevant ideas about sex.'"