`Chunhyang' Offends Western Ears, but Not Sensibilities

Chunhyang
2 stars

It was stupid, I admit, to fail to realize that a movie with a title like "Chunhyang" would be a Korean drama with English subtitles. But I refuse to take credit for the interludes of shrieks known as -- upon further investigation -- "pansori."

Pansori is the traditional narrative stage that includes storytelling/singing to the beat (an ever-so random beat, may I add) of a drum. I don't doubt that trained ears find this art pleasing, but to the uncultured Westerner, it grates like nails on a chalkboard.

This is how it works: every scene of the play is interrupted by a man "singing" (although he sounds more like he's vomiting a pair of antlers) the narration of the plot.

Sometimes, he even "sings" the words for the characters while they act out the action. It reminds me of opera, that is, if it were performed by dying monkeys.

"Chunhyang," as far as the plot goes, is best explained by a fusion of some of the classic few minutes in entertainment and literary history. Stay with me on this:

Siddhartha

Mongryong (Cho Seung Woo), or Master Lee as his servants call him, decides he wants to leave the isolated extravagance of the governor's (his dad's) mansion to see the world. Only he doesn't find self-enlightenment, he finds a girl. And he comes right back home.

Romeo and Juliet

Master Lee sees a young courtesan named Chunhyang (Lee Hyo Jung) and immediately falls in love with her. The problem is, they are star-crossed lovers -- members of two different social classes whose marriage will never be acceptable.

The Princess Bride

Westley, I mean Mongryong, seemingly abandons Chunhyang -- despite proclaiming his undying love for her. When he returns years later, she doesn't recognize him (see "Oh my sweet Westley, what have I done?").

Robin Hood -- Prince of Thieves

Not to give away the ending, but when the new governor wants to have his way with Chunhyang, it calls for the triumphal return of Mongryong -- disguised as a man that steals from the rich and gives to the poor.

Despite the distracting musical narration, the performances by Jung and Woo are exceptional, and they do a decent job of carrying the movie. An especially solid scene for Jung was when her character was being beaten for disobedience at the order of the new governor.

Overall, I learned two things from this movie. One, pansori and film do not mix. Two, the love for feel-good romance movies is universal.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.