Chapel Hill Residents Embrace Homes' History

All major changes to houses must be approved by commission

Officially called the Mickle-Mangum-Smith-Manning House, it's nicknamed the "Betty Smith House" after the woman who bought the house with her first profits from writing.

The house, located on East Rosemary Street, was the first project of Ida Friday and Georgia Kaiser, who saved the house from demolition in 1972.

Since that year, the Preservation Society of Chapel Hill has been working to maintain the town's homes, located in three local historic districts and two National Register Historical Districts.

The local districts include the Franklin-Rosemary District, which was established in 1976; the Cameron-McCauley District, established in 1990; and the Gimghoul District, which was created in 1993.

"Local historic districts are found to be in harmony," said Catherine Frank, executive director of Chapel Hill's Preservation Society. "Everything retains the character of the historic district."

In the districts, aluminum siding is not permitted and major renovations or additions to these homes must be approved by the Chapel Hill Historic District Commission.

Diane and Phillip Manning moved into the Betty Smith House in 1990, a location near where they lived while attending graduate school at UNC. "It was kind of run-down and pretty expensive -- an older house takes a lot of work," said Diane Manning.

Upon walking through the door, there is a room to the right covered in turquoise hand-painted wallpaper imported from Paris. The tiles in the first-floor bathroom are a deep midnight blue, the only color Smith could get during wartime.

The stone wall that surrounds the property was added by Smith as well. "She was very mindful of her boundaries," Diane Manning said. "She liked her privacy."

But the Mannings said they do not want to be cut off from the UNC community. "I think it's great because you can walk everywhere, which is a big advantage," Diane Manning said.

Dan Cable, a professor in the business school who bought the Mason-Lloyd-Wiley House on West Cameron Avenue, said he also enjoys the proximity to the University. "I ride my bike to work," Cable said. "It's really fun to live here -- keeps you young."

The Cables bought the house, which was built in 1860, about a year and a half ago after moving from Raleigh.

Before moving in, the Cables had to make several renovations, including replacing a porch that had been torn off in the 1940s. They modeled the renovated porch after a picture of the house taken in 1892.

"For us, it's what we love," Cable said.

Mary Joyner loves her historic home as well -- even though it can hardly be called ancient.

The Joyner residence was built in 1996 on the property that used to be the Coker estate. The Joyners must follow the same guidelines as all historic homeowners.

The Joyners, who moved from historic Bedford, N.Y., said they are excited to be living in Chapel Hill.

"Our daughter came to Carolina for eight years," Joyner said. "Every time we came to visit her we were surer and surer we wanted to live within walking distance to the University."

Their home is a brick colonial on North Boundary Street, and every room is decorated for Christmas in preparation for the upcoming Preservation Society tour that will take place Saturday and Sunday. The Betty Smith House also will be part of the tour.

The smells of holly and evergreen permeates the Joyner home. Bows, Christmas trees and miniature villages decorate each room. The staircase is hugged by garland, and stockings dangle in the light of a chandelier.

"I adore it -- it's a dream come true," Joyner said.

In the past, houses in the historic districts have been rented by students for off-campus housing, which Frank said has been controversial.

But some residents do not seem bothered by living close to students. "When I have a nightmare, it's that my husband wants to move," Manning said.

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.