An eclectic mix of new businesses — many of which cater to students — are in the works for Chapel Hill, and many more are planned to open in the coming months.

Jack Sprat Cafe opened Jan. 5 at 161 E. Franklin St., the former site of Strong’s Coffee.

“I couldn’t think of a better place to open a business,” owner Steve Dorozenski said.

Although only the coffee bar has opened, a future cafe section will offer a variety of sandwiches, salads and soups. Dorozenski said that the menu is still being planned and that it should be ready by Wednesday.

“We are still working on getting the food right,” Dorozenski said, adding that he wants to make sure every item will appeal to customers.

He said that although the past few weeks have been hectic, he has received positive feedback from community members.

Jack Sprat isn’t the only java joint to recently open its doors. The 3 Cups coffee shop in The Courtyard shopping center at 431 W. Franklin St. began brewing in December.

Unlike most cafes in the country, 3 Cups offers just coffee and tea — not lattes, chai or other specialty drinks found elsewhere.

“I want to create a coffee connoisseurship for natural coffee and tea,” said owner Lex Alexander.

Alexander said 3 Cups is different from national chains and can therefore survive among its many national competitors.

The store sells coffee beans, tea leaves and equipment for home brewing. “A lot of national players don’t want you to learn how to make coffee drinks,” he said.

He said his shop is ideal for people who make food a priority and who want to learn how to make great coffee and tea themselves.

The West Franklin Street location appealed to Alexander because there is parking close by and because the area has a community feel.

Alexander said that he enjoys retail and that he’s also helping friends open a sandwich shop slated to open in March in The Courtyard.

The national cosmetics retail chain Aveda opened in January at 200 W. Franklin St.

The building’s landlord, Antoine Puech, said he was in negotiations to bring Aveda to the location, formerly Michael Jordan’s 23 restaurant, for two years.

“The company has a very excellent product and a high reputation,” he said, adding that it will appeal to shoppers in the downtown area.

More new businesses are on the horizon. Qdoba Mexican Grill is expected to open at 100 W. Franklin St. in late February or early March, said operating partner Joe Numberger.

He said that construction delays have interrupted previous plans to open by December, but that crews are now moving at a good pace.

Numberger said the restaurant plans to stay open late. “Some of our best locations are where there are college campuses,” he said. “I am sure that we will do well in Chapel Hill.”

Eastgate Shopping Center on East Franklin Street also is seeing some changes.

The Earth Fare grocery store, specializing in health foods, is expected to open in March, and the Great Outdoor Provision Co. outfitter store also plans to open this spring.

Charlie Maier of Federal Realty Investment Trust, which manages the Eastgate property, said his company wanted to be sure it brought the right tenants to the shopping center. “We are hoping to complement the other retail stores there.”

Concept plans have been presented before the Town Council’s Community Design Commission to bring a Starbucks coffee shop to the area to fill the old Amoco station.

Maier said that he is not sure whether or not this will happen, but that Federal Realty would like a coffee shop to come to that space.

Puech said the diversity of new and upcoming businesses in the area will invigorate the local economy.

“There is a good mix of nationally and locally owned stores,” he said.